Speech and Language Therapy
Alliance Rehabilitation’s Speech Pathology team provides tailored rehabilitation and support for participants with acquired or developmental speech, language, cognitive, voice and/or swallowing problems. Rehabilitation and support may be delivered individually or in a group, with the goal of optimising communication and swallowing skills for life.
The speech pathologists at Alliance Rehabilitation are registered with Speech Pathology Australia (SPA), the national accreditation body. SPA regulates members to ensure they are keeping up to date with latest evidence based practice.
Services provided by Speech Pathologists include:
- Assessment and rehabilitation of disorders affecting communication and swallowing including language difficulties (aphasia), motor speech disorders (apraxia and dysarthria) and voice disorders (dysphonia). These disorders may result following stroke or other medical conditions. We offer therapy and rehabilitation services to maximise a person’s ability to communicate functionally within the hospital and home settings.
- Assessment and provision of alternative and augmentative communication systems for patients who are unable to communicate their wants and needs verbally. Using technology to support communication and therapy.
- Education of family and carers about communication and swallowing disorders as communication is an integral of part of family life.
- Contribution to discharge planning as part of the Alliance Rehabilitation team.
Specific Treatment may include
- Exercises to strengthen muscles and improve coordination
- Compensatory strategies to make your speech clearer
Language and communication
- Word finding, fluency, writing, reading, listening and social components of communication
- Complex language skills such as verbal reasoning, drawing conclusions and interpreting information
- Supporting you to develop skills to make communicating with others easier
- Volume and breath control exercises
- LSVT (Lee Silverman Voice Therapy) for Parkinson’s Disease
- Helping you to find a safe and acceptable way to manage your swallowing difficulties
- Exercises and treatments, if appropriate, to improve your swallow.
Technology and Training
- Advice on communication aids, which may support your communication.
- Use of computer-based therapy resources to enhance your one on one treatment or to support your therapy at home
- Training family members, friends, carers, and teachers on how to support your communication and communicate effectively with you.
Alliance Rehabilitation provides a range of health services: